ENGLISH OF BUSINESS 2 (Softskill_Meeting 3)
- Which of the following is NOT true?
- a) Winners placed olive wreaths on their own heads.
- b) The games were held in Greece every four years.
- c) Battles were interrupted to participate in the games.
- d) Poem glorified the winners in song.
The answer: c) Battles were interrupted to participate in the games.Because it is described in paragraph; “The contest coincided with religious festivities and constituted an all-out effort on the part of the participants to please the gods”.
- The word “elite” in line 5 is closest in meaning to…
Answer : A. aristocracy
Reason : because elite and aristocracy have the same meaning that is “pilihan”.
- Why were the Olympic Games held?
The answer is : B. To honor Zeus
The reason : because In 776 B.C, the first Olympics Games were held at the foot of Mount Olympus to honor the Greeks’ chief god, Zeus. (look at the first paragraph and the first sentence)
- Approximately how many years ago did these games originate?
- a) 800 years.
- b) 1200 years.
- c) 2300 years.
- d) 2800 years.
The answer : d) 2800 years. Because the first year the Olympic Games held in 776 BC until now 2012, so the Olympic Games happen since 2012 + 776 = 2788 years or approximately 2800 years ago.
- What conclusion can we draw about the ancient Greeks?
- They were pacifists
- They believed athletic events were important
- They were very simple
- They couldn’t count, so they used “Olympiads” for dates
Answer : B. They believed athletic events were important
Reason : because in the article there sentence : The Greeks emphasized physical fitness and strength to their education of youth. So they believed athletic were important
- What is the main idea of this passage?
The answer is : A. Physical fitness was an integral part part of the lives of the ancient Greeks
The reason : because the Greeks emphasized physical fitness and strength in their education of youth. (look at the first paragraph and the fourth sentence)
- In line 14, the word “deeds” is closest in meaning to….
- a) Accomplishments.
- b) Ancestors.
- d) Documents.
- d) Property.
The answer: a) Accomplishments. Because the meaning of deeds is the“tindakan or perbuatan”. In a sentence or it can be too are defined by accomplishments that is literally meant “penyelesaian, prestasi, or kemahiran”.
- Which of the following was ultimately required of all athletes competing in the Olympics?
- They must have completed military service.
- They had to attend special training sessions
- They had to be Greek males with no criminal record
- They had to be very religious
Answer : C. They had to be Greek males with no criminal record
Reason : because there sentence : but the later games were open to all free Greek males who had no criminal record. So the right answer is C.
- The word “ halted” in line 16 means most nearly the same as…
The answer is : C. Curtailed
The reason : because if interpreted in Indonesian language, the word “halted” means “dihentikan, berhenti” so the most nearly same of meaning is the word “curtailed” which means “dikurangi, dibatasi”.
- What is an “Olympiad”?
- a) The time it took to finish the games.
- b) The time between games.
- c) The it took to finish a war.
- d) The time it took the athletes to train.
The answer: b) The time between games. Because the synonym of Olympiad is the modern revival of the ancient games held once every four years in a selected country. So, an Olympiad it could also be interpreted as the time between games.
Baca Juga :